It’s the 100th year anniversary of apparitions of Our Lady of Fátima and His Holiness Pope Francis will be making a two-day pilgrimage to the historic town of Fátima, Portugal starting this coming Friday May 12th.
On May 13th, 1917 apparitions of the Virgin Mary appeared to three young shepherd children and these apparitions continued to appear once a month for the next five months until October 13th.
It was then on that day in front of an estimated crowd of 30-40,000 people (according to Portuguese journalist Avelino de Almeida) that the Lady of Fátima would perform a great miracle – later to become known as O Milagre do Sol (The Miracle of the Sun).
Various claims by witnesses at the event have been made stating that after a rainy start to the day, the clouds broke and the sun appeared as a spinning disc in the sky, multicoloured lights were also reported and the sun was said to have fallen to earth and then zig-zagged back up to the heavens.
The apparitions and the Miracle of the Sun were later declared worthy of belief by the Catholic Church.
In the evening of the anniversary Pope Francis will lead the recitation of rosary and celebrate Mass at the Shrine of Our Lady of Fátima, he is the fourth pontiff to visit this shrine behind Blessed Paul VI, St John Paul II and Benedict XVI.
Lunch with the bishops of Portugal and a meeting with our nationally loved President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa is also planned.
Like so many in Portugal, Foundarte is honoured to have the Pope visit our great country and wish him a blessed journey. He is scheduled to arrive at the Monte Real air base in Leiria at 4.20pm where there will be a welcoming ceremony held.
The rest of his visit looks like this
Friday, May 12th
- 4.35 pm – A Private meeting with the president of Portugal at the air base
- 4.55 pm – A visit to the air base chapel
- 5.15 pm – Helicopter transfer to Fátima stadium
- 5.35 pm – Arrival at the stadium and transfer to the shrine
- 6.15 pm – Visit and prayers at the Little Chapel of the Apparitions
- 9.30 pm – Blessing of the candles at the chapel, a speech by Pope Francis and recitation of the rosary.
On Saturday, May 13th
- 9.10 am – Meeting with the Portuguese prime minister at Our Lady of Mount Carmel house in Fatima.
- 9.40 am – Visit to the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary at Fátima.
- 10.00 am – An Outdoor Mass at the basilica, Homily by Pope Francis & Greeting to the sick
- 12.30 pm – Lunch with the bishops of Portugal at Our Lady of Mount Carmel house
- 2.45 pm – Farewell ceremony at the Monte Real air base.
Foundarte has many unique handmade ceramic sculptures available to you with religious themes including nativity scenes and famous saints. You can see our collection here or if you simply want to make an enquiry then mail us at email@example.com